Wednesday, May 29, 2013

We're Going Streaking! The View from Day Three

Hey all! Sole Sister V here, kicking off today's run report. For Day Three of The Streak, I kept my run local, and not as lengthy, clocking 3 miles around my hood in about 23:30.

I believe that runners see the world differently, in a variety of ways. When you're outside running, your point of view changes, literally, from what you would see from a moving car. In a car, you might miss something like the really nifty statues outside a cemetery, since you're zipping on by at 50 mph. On foot, you get to be up close and personal.


This is such a beauty! Two angels adorn the entrance to Saint Rose Cemetery.
In a car, you're also protected from construction site dust, but I digress (I forgot my sunglasses today -- whoa, mistake). You are also protected from floating cottonwood seeds -- I think I inhaled a couple on my run!

One thing that I also never noticed was just how darn SAD my dog looks when I leave to go for a run:
Poor puppy!
Oh, poor Harry! He's just not quite big enough to go for a run longer than a half mile or so with me, otherwise I'd take him out. In case you start feeling too sorry for him, just know that he's conversely as happy to see me when I return as he is sad when I leave. 

One thing I'll never get tired of seeing on foot is the beautiful blue sky and a path of gravel stretching out before me. How can you not feel great when this is part of your "to do" list? 
I'm so fortunate to have great paths to follow in one of our fair city's public parks.
Like I said, runners just see things differently, both literally and figuratively. I think runners by nature HAVE to be optimistic -- when you begin a race, you BELIEVE you are going to finish it. People who aren't optimistic won't even get to the starting line. I prefer to be that optimistic person who knows that with hard work and belief in myself, I will reach the finish line in whatever endeavor I undertake. Running does that for me, and it translates into many areas of life. On Day Three of The Streak, I'm grateful to have that realization reinforced.


  
M here!  Just to let all you fine readers know, my motto today was "I will run later."  Well, it got to be later and I still hadn't hit the streets!  A busy day at work led to a busy evening with the kids and before you know it, it was going on 11 p.m.  It was time to lace up. 


        (Not too thrilled about this run.  I could have just went to bed, but I knew I had to streak on!)

I just did a short 3 miler tonight at a 7:29 pace, which consisted of two loops around the main campus of a hospital that is located literally right across the street from me.  It is super well-lit with wonderfully maintained sidewalks.  When running at night, however, you have to take the proper precautions and wear the right gear that will prevent motorists from hitting you if you do decide to run on the road.
There is my reflective belt, my blinker light and reflective ankle cuffs.  All NATHAN brand.  Very reputable and I have had the blinker light for quite sometime and haven't had to change a battery yet.  I only wore my ankle cuffs tonight since I was running on a hospital campus.  I had to cross the street twice though, so I threw them on just to be on the safe side.

I didn't realize that my shoes were as reflective as they are until Sole Child Lucy took this pic of me.  I am chomping on gum here, so please pay no mind to my wonderful facial expression.  That Lucy sure knows how to capture a moment.

One last piece of gear I use regularly on night runs that include routes that are not well-lit, is my handy dandy headlight! I was unable to find it tonight.  I believe one of the kids took it and it is hidden in one of their rooms.  I really love the headlight.  It produces a great amount of light for oncoming traffic to see and for you, the runner, to be able to see where you are actually running!  It is great!  I didn't need it tonight.  I just wanted to post a funny snapshot of me wearing it!  

This is a pic from an early morning winter run. If you run a lot at night or very early mornings, I highly recommend picking one of these up.  It has various settings too.  It can blink slowly, strobe or stay steady.  The light pivots as well so you can point it to the ground or straight ahead of you.  It is VERY bright.  Definitely a must have!

One last surprise on my third day of streaking was walking in the door and seeing this:

No idea how my knuckle busted open and it doesn't hurt.  There was blood all over my shirt too!  I am pretty certain that I was running so fast that the wind just ripped my skin right open! (a girl can dream, right?)  All I know is that it was NOT a possum or raccoon attack.  Have no fear readers! I am rabies free!!

It goes without saying that I am glad that I got out there and Day 3 of The Streak is complete!  Sister M, over and out!


Last but not least, a Sole Sister Shoutout goes to V's friend Sara Dailey from Cincinnati who is streaking alongside us, back woes and all! Thanks for joining us, Sara! Hope you get to feeling tip-top soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment