Thursday, May 30, 2013

We're Going Streaking: Day Four Forecast -- Speed & Sun

Good evening readers and fellow runners!  Sole Sister M here to start off the report on Day Four of "THE STREAK"!!

I decided today at work that my run was going to be short and sweet.  Sister V and I are headed out tomorrow morning for a 7 miler, so I knew I wanted to keep tonight's run brief.  I didn't just want to head out the door and run though... I needed a challenge of some sort!  Hmmm... I've got it!! Let's see how fast I can run a mile!  In the three and a half years that I have been running, I have NEVER done this!

I got the girls to bed and geared up!! I knew my iPod was coming along tonight.  Music always seems to give me the added boost I need.  I headed outside, set the Garmin and I was off... The first half mile was done at a sub 6 minute pace.  Unfortunately, I lost steam after that.  I ended with a 6:21 pace overall.  My total run time tonight was two miles and I averaged a 7:16 pace. Keeping the streak alive, baby!!



I thought I would have run the mile a little bit faster than what I did.  I didn't throw up though, which leads me to believe that I could have pushed myself a little bit harder.  Even though it wasn't as fast as I expected, this was still MY FASTEST MILE EVER!  Something to be happy about either way!  Annnndd.... improving my mile time gives me something to work on.  I know V and I will have a blast doing some sprints and watching our times decrease!!




To celebrate my fastest mile as of yet, I decided to entertain all of you with a "selfie" of me posing like Usain Bolt.  You are welcome! 

Also, a special Sole Sister SHOUT OUT to Jodi Zeigler who began streaking along with us!  Glad you have you on board, hot mama!

And lastly, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sole Child Lucy who turned 11 today!!! Hope you enjoyed your day!




Hi everyone! V here. I decided to take advantage of the great weather for Day 4 and turn The Streak into a multisport adventure. Our region of northwest Ohio is looking at a stretch of rain coming up, so this could be the last shot at a decent bike/run/swim day for awhile. 

It's my experience that while working at night is definitely terrible for a traditional social life or for any hope of decent sleep before most races, it does have some distinct advantages. One solid perk is that I have my days free to go grocery shopping when most people are working. Can't say how much I enjoy this. But more relevant to this blog is that I have all kinds of daylight to burn, if I want to get up early and get moving. Because Day Four called for more than a run, I broke the news to Harry that I was leaving, wheeled my bike out around noon (OK, so I had slept in some), and headed the three miles it takes to get to the entrance to Sidecut Metropark that I use. 
Best bike ever. Love, love, love. 

"Thank goodness for shade," was my overwhelming thought when I arrived at Sidecut already sweating from the hot bike ride over. The trails in Sidecut wind along the Maumee, and the views can be just beautiful, with cottonwood seeds blowing (and sticking to your sweaty skin -- my arms were starting to look like cotton balls), ducks and geese swimming, and fisherpeople, well, fishing. I got three trail miles in, at a nice pace of 8:20.  
Adventure awaits! 
I traced my three mile bike route home and then -- time to swim! I tell you what, this Ohio girl just wanted to feel the sun soak into my bones after slogging through a long, cold winter. So I swam and swam, and swam some more. 


Look: I caught a Coach B!
I then laid out in the sun for awhile to try to even out the 12 different types of tan lines I get from the different attire required for running, biking, and swimming, plus the strap marks I get from my Garmin and the armband for my iPhone. Because, seriously, a farmer's tan has NOTHING on a multisport enthusiast's tan. I can end up looking like a combination of Dalmatian/zebra. I didn't realize just how MUCH sun I got until I got to work, and the red on my neck and back started to throb with my heartbeat ... 

Don't tell my dermatologist -- this early season burn will be our little secret, OK?  
So, learn from my mistake -- the sun is no joke! And it's no fun to try to run with a sunburn, so find a friend and slather on the SPF. 



The actual time spent running. I can't seem to go fewer than 3. I really intended to just get one in, but it was so nice at the park that I had to keep going. I hope I don't regret it once M and I go for 7 tomorrow! Stay tuned -- I'll probably be a crispy critter limping along, lol. 

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other. -- V.  

No comments:

Post a Comment