Saturday, May 18, 2013

Getting to Know You --- Q & A With The Sole Sisters


Hey everyone! One thing we Sole Sisters love to do is talk and talk, and talk some more, and get to know each other better. Lots of time spent on the road together really is conducive to getting to know someone. When you run together, you bond, and really, once you've seen each other sweat and spit and goodness knows what else, not much is off limits. So, short of taking you ALL out on a run with us (oooh, but wouldn't Sole Sister Group Runs be fun?), here's a quick Q & A to help you get to know us better. Feel free to submit your own questions too; we'll address them in a later post. 



1.  Why do you run?

V: I run to eat bleu cheese dressing. OK, no, not really. Well, that's not the only reason, I mean.  I run for a huge list of reasons, many of which I wrote down as part of an exercise to tamp down my anxiety levels before the Glass City Marathon this year. I believe that one of my major reasons for running is that it lets me set and reach seemingly infinite goals for myself. I feel like I can always try to go faster or further, or both. Running puts me to the test physically and mentally.


M: I run for various reasons.  Like Sole Sister V, I run so I can eat without guilt.  The main reason that I run, however, is because I love the way that it makes me feel both physically and mentally.  I also have two little girls at home and I think that it sets a wonderful example for them.  It shows that it's okay to sweat, be competitive, be athletic, and be proud of yourself when you are finished. 


2.  What running gear cannot you not run without?


V: If I go for a run and I don't have chewing gum, I am not a happy Sole Sister. I need gum. It keeps me from getting dry mouth and I think I probably do some kind of weird-yet-necessary OCD thing while chewing it and running. 


M: I am 100% on board with V on this answer.  Gum is a must have while running.  I also like to carry back up pieces with me if heading out on a long run or distance race.  If I need to give an original answer though, I will say my Garmin.  I love seeing my pace and distance.  Running "gadget-free" for me is kind of difficult. 


3.  Why do you wear a skirt while running?


V: Being a runner girl means that you are perceived as one tough chica, right? Well, I want to also be cute while I'm kicking asphalt. So, I like to wear a skirt when I hit the road, especially for races.



M: I don't always wear a skirt when I run.  When I do though, I feel pretty damn sexy.  Who says you can't be sporty and sexy?!  I also like passing guys in races when I am wearing one.  I like to believe it does something to their ego!! I think I need to go buy a couple more!

4.  What is your favorite race and running route/trail?


V: I loved running the 5 mile CIC Run/Walk for Humanity on Catawba Island a few years back. It is a great 5 mile course that gives you views of Lake Erie and the Catawba Island Club marina. Afterward, there were massages to be had, a huge luncheon, live music, and I even got a potted mum to take home. I don't know if it's like that every year, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The race this year is on Sunday, June 2, and benefits Ottawa County Habitat for Humanity.  CIC Run/Walk
My favorite running trail/route is probably a little harder to nail down. I will say my most used trail is the University Trail, part of the Toledo Metroparks system. Give me any path near water, though, and I'm happy to run it.


M: My favorite race, hands down, is the Detroit Free Press Marathon.  Crossing the Ambassador Bridge at sunrise and coming through the tunnel back into the United States is pretty amazing.
My favorite running trail/route is probably Sidecut Metropark in Maumee and I like Pearson Metropark just as much.

5.  Favorite running related quote?


V: "The difference between try and triumph is a little 'umph.'"
 



One that I like best is long and starts with "Running isn't a sport for pretty boys..."



M: "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." -Kenji Miyazawa




"Pain is temporary.  Quitting lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong 




6.  What is your shoe preference?

V: It took me a long time to find my favorite shoe. Before this pair, I'd try a new brand and model every time. I'm in love with my Saucony Virratas, though.





M: Right now I am wearing the Mizuno Wave Cursoris.  I am in love with them.  They are light, flexible, with plenty of room in the forefoot but still supportive and very breathable. 




7.  Do you have any pre-race rituals or superstitions?


V: Yes. Ritual: I eat the exact same breakfast for a week before my race (whole-wheat bagel thin with peanut butter, sliced bananas, and a drizzle of honey). And, my superstition is that I used to have a pair of lucky underwear that I wore at every race. They were green and red and gold-glitter striped Christmas briefs from Victoria's Secret. I've been racing since 2007, so they inevitably got old. So now, I carry a square cut from my lucky undies that I take with me into every race. I have like a dozen of them, in case I lose one.
 

Lucky underwear square. Don't leave home (on race day) without it.

M: I am a weirdo when it comes to pre-race rituals.  It starts as soon as I find out what my bib number is.  I keep adding up my bib number until it is a single digit (i.e. Cleveland's bib number is #3181 so, 3+1+8+1=13, then 1+3=4) I shoot for a 4 since it is my lucky number.  I lucked out at Glass City since my bib number was #1066 and now in Cleveland too!  Yay me!!  I guess a 2 or an 8 wouldn't be bad either... Since 2 goes into 4 and 4 goes into 8... Geez, see where my brain goes??!! 

Another thing I like to do is write down my favorite quotes on little slips of paper and put them in the hidden pockets of my shorts or skirt on race day.  By the time I am done, they are sweaty pieces of goo, but it makes me feel better carrying them with me!!
Oh, I also make 100% sure that I shave the morning of a race. I need to make sure I am aerodynamic!! 


8.  What kind of weather conditions do you prefer running in?

V: I love cold weather! I love any weather that doesn't involve a strong headwind.



M:  Hands down, cold weather.  I hate running in the heat.  In the summer time, if I don't get a run in before 7 a.m., you won't see me out until the sun goes down.  Direct sunlight and M are not best friends.

9.  How do you consume energy on long runs or races?  Shot Bloks, gels, Sport Beans?


V: I'll do a combination of GU gels (peanut butter, and tri-berry are my faves, with an occasional blueberry Roctane thrown in) and Clif Shot Bloks (chocolate covered cherry is so good).



M: I like the Powerade gels in tangerine flavor and I also like the GU Roctane gels.  The more caffeine, the better!! Yahoo!!

10.  Favorite and least favorite aspect of training for a race?


V: I love checking off my workouts on the training program calendar and visually watching my accomplishments build up. Least favorite aspect is that no one issues me a cleaning crew for my house during training.



M:  My favorite aspect of training is the buildup to the super long runs.  I love seeing an 18 or 20 mile run coming up.  I think it is because I know it is such an accomplishment in itself to complete such a lengthy training run and then to still have the actual marathon to look forward to... I don't know.  It is a brain game I play with myself.  I also like training with other people (mainly V, duh).
Least favorite aspect is carb loading.  It is fun at first, but it gets old after two days.  Training is also very time consuming and I have to cut out a lot of beer during training (boo!!).

11.  Bonus Question:  What is the funniest comment or question someone has said or asked you regarding your running?


V: I love when someone asks me, "Do you think you're going to win the marathon [or other distance]?" And of course I answer "no." And they seem genuinely surprised that I know I'm not going to win, but I still want to go out and run 26.2 miles. Must be a runner thing. 


M: V and I just had this discussion the other day... I love when you tell someone you are running a marathon and their response is "Oh, how long is that marathon?"  It cracks me up every time.  Or I like "What marathon are you running this weekend?"  Like I just go out and run one every weekend for fun!  I am seriously laughing as I type this...



Well, that's it for now! Let us know (in the comments section) if you have any questions for us!   

-- The Sole Sisters 

No comments:

Post a Comment