Tuesday, May 28, 2013

We're Going Streaking!!! -- Day One, Plus: PR WEEKEND!!

All right, everybody: THE STREAK IS ON! We're happy to report that we are both 1 for 1, and then some. The Runner's World 2013 Summer Challenge #RWRunStreak (heretofore referred as "The Streak") kicked off Monday, May 27, and the Sole Sisters took on the 35th annual Kip Boulis Memorial Day 5k in Perrysburg, Ohio. This race is in memory of Patrolman Kip E. Boulis of Perrysburg, who lost his life in 1976 when rescuing four Toledo boaters who had fallen overboard in the Maumee River. Patrolman Boulis was 29 at the time of his death and had served as a U.S. Marine. The money raised from this 5K benefits the Kip Boulis Memorial Scholarship Fund, which has awarded more than $67,000 to graduates pursuing higher education in law enforcement.


Pay no attention to the guy to V's left ... aw, go ahead and look -- that's our friend Colin.
V dedicated her Streaker Mile to the three generations of family on her husband's side who came to run in the 5k. Joining in were V's husband, Coach B; son Nick, and father-in-law Gary. This was the third time the generations of Duggers have run the same race. 


Coach B, Nick, Gary, and V.
V: So, my #RWRunStreak was the first mile, which I clocked in 6:40, which is exactly what I wanted to run it in. I intended Kip Boulis to be a PR race for me, as I've run it nearly every year since 2007. My slowest KB time was 25:12. I'm happy to report that I DID PR this race, logging at 21:59; a 7:05 pace. I was 4th in my age group, the 8th woman out of 119 women, and the 46th overall finisher out of 299. I'LL TAKE IT!! You never know who will show up at a given race, if they'll be a lot faster or slower than you, if there will be a lot of competition in your age group, etc. In my opinion, the very best thing you can do going into a race is to run YOUR race -- know what YOUR goal is, strive to meet it. If you meet your own goals you have set for yourself, any other accolade you may achieve along the way is just gravy. And speaking of gravy -- you GOTTA hear how THIS chica did (I am one proud Sole Sister, I have to say): 

Sole Sistah -- Mug Winnah! M & Lu.
Sole Sister M finished this race in record time: with a 21:17, third in age group,  FIFTH out of 119 women and 31 overall from a field of 299! Way to go! She got a *sweet* commemorative coffee mug for her efforts and the love and respect of her friends and competitors. :-) 

M: I had such a great time at the Kip Boulis! It started out as a beautiful day and thankfully the majority of the rain held off until after we finished the race.  I am so happy that we both PR'd at this race.  What an accomplishment for both of us.  I am so, SO lucky to have Sister V as my friend and motivator!  I wouldn't push myself as much as I did this weekend if it weren't for her!!


M's daughter Lucy came out to run, too, and finished strong!

Lucy is FLYING!!

Nick kicks it during the homestretch.
We're a couple of proud mama-types, too, for the kids logging a whole 5K!. And, we won't mention that the kids found a couch midrace and actually SAT DOWN for a little bit. So, this was like a Couch To 5k To Couch ... AHEM, Sole Children -- we'll be having a discussion about this!!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE ...

We did not just one, but TWO 5Ks this weekend. On Saturday, we took part in the Run for the Meadows 5K in Millbury, Ohio, to benefit Vail Meadows horse farm, which suffered a devastating fire. In March, a fire swept through one of the barns, killing 10 horses that were used in therapy programs for disabled children. Other barnyard friends were also killed, and the whole tragedy threw the therapeutic program off. The money raised from the 5K would be used to help rebuild the program. Vail Meadows Equestrian Center


Pictures of the animals who perished were on display at the 5K registration
V: I didn't know what to expect coming into this race, except that I wanted to help the Vail Meadows family rebuild after this fire. Gabby, my stepdaughter, has ridden horses since she was 9, and I've always admired the bond between horse and rider. I'm not going to lie -- I thought this course was TOUGH! I really appreciated the challenge. I'm a flat-road runner, and this course offered grass, stone paths, roads, and a (to me) remarkable hill! I ended up finishing in what was my PR at the time: 23:14, a 7:24 pace. I was third woman overall, second in age group. 

M was a beast, turning in a performance that saw her take second place overall in the women's division, first in age division, and her PR time (at the time) of 22:01!




M: Thanks for the kind words, V!  This race was great as well.  This cross-country course was totally unexpected.  Definitely thought we were headed into a road race... The grass, hills and gravel threw me for a loop.  Nice change of pace though and was surprised that we both got a PR at this one! Woo Hoo!!  Honestly, my only goal at this race was not to cry when seeing pictures of the horses or hearing about them.  What a tragic thing to happen.  I am glad I got to participate and it is heartwarming knowing that the community is really stepping up to help in their time of struggle!


Hair products -- not a laughing matter. At all. Stop smiling, M.
And here's the super cool thing: We won prizes! V earned two gift certificates to Mellow Twist ice cream and M got a slew of Biolage and Matrix hair care products. And like true sisters, we shared our bounty and split up the goods (Our Moms: You raised us right; we know how to share...). And Colin won this AWESOME HAT. Good on ya, Colin. 


Winners. This is how it's done, son.

V: And one last thought from me -- This 5K had the best post-race food spread I've seen in a long time. So varied, and so MUCH food. Homemade trail mix, fresh fruits, dozens and dozens of cookies, crackers, fruit snacks, string cheese, and so on and so forth. This was definitely put on by moms who have had the experience of having to "Bring Snack" to travel soccer, softball, equestrian team, and on and on. WELL DONE. THANK YOU.

M: Agreed! Mmm... That trail mix hit the spot!


Om nom. Nom nom nom. And more nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment