Saturday, May 18, 2013

We Interrupt This Running Blog for a Multi-sport Post ... V Takes on a Tri

Hey all! Sole Sister V here. Well, this weekend, the Sole Sisters are taking aim at separate goals, with separate races, in separate cities. I might have separation anxiety. So, while M is pounding pavement at the Cleveland Marathon (go girl, GO!), I am dipping my toes into uncharted waters. I'm trying a teeny, tiny triathlon at the Francis Family YMCA in Lambertville, Mich.,

I know how to swim. I know how to bike. I know how to run. I don't know if I can really do all three, in that order, without any breaks. But, I do love a challenge, and so the teeny tiny tri is up my alley to see how I do. There are no age group awards; just like elementary school these days, we'll all get a medal. Woo! Give me a medal and a T-shirt, and I'm in.

So, today was the expo and beginner clinic. I learned all kinds of things. But I think the point that I will never forget is that really good competitors pee on their bikes while they are riding, rather than stopping if nature calls. Seriously. This is not a joke. Chrissie Wellington, Ironman champion from New Zealand regularly does this. Oy. Luckily for me, this is only an 8 mile bike, so I will not be whizzing while I'm whizzing by. (So, come out and see me! LOL.)

And this isn't even all the stuff that I will be taking with me...
So, I'll be doing 10 lengths in the YMCA pool (lengths? laps? I'll swim until they put the red flag at my lane, telling me I need to do one more then get out of the pool.), then run outside (barefoot!), get to my previously set up swim-to-bike transition area, put on my sunglasses, then helmet (securing the strap), dry my feet, put on socks, put on shorts, put on race belt, put on shoes, walk/run my bike to the bike start, and then ride 8 miles. (Without peeing on myself, thank you very much.)

What my transition area will look like, minus crazy-expensive Specialized bike.




Then, I'll hop off my bike (carefully), run/walk it back to the transition area, take off my helmet, re-rack the bike, spin the race belt around so my number is in the front, and then take off for a 2 mile run. Sounds like a blast!!! (Except that it starts at 8 a.m., and I'm working until 1 a.m.! This might be a zombie-teeny-tiny-tri....)

I can't wait to let you guys know how it goes!   --- V.


Saturday's Stats:
Distance: 9.07 mi  (6.5 biking, 2.5 running
Time: 45:15
Avg Pace: 4:59 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 150 ft
Calories: 847 C







No comments:

Post a Comment