Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Two Full Marathons Within a Month - Crazy or Just Plain Stupid?!

Sole Sister M here!  I have always loved a good challenge.  I consider that to be one of my better characteristics, however, it has been known to bite me in the butt a few times.

Before I registered for the Glass City Marathon that took place on April 28th, the thought of running the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon sounded far more appealing to me.  It was new terrain, a larger crowd, more energy and it would allow me to train just a little bit longer since it takes place May 19th - YES, this Sunday.  Well, work schedules, training partners and a personal vengeance with the Glass City Marathon (will explain in another post) led me to register for the Toledo race and push Cleveland aside.

Glass City Marathon was a total success for both Sole Sister V and myself as we both qualified for Boston.  Once it was over, and I got past the thoughts of never wanting to run again because of how sore I was, the itch to run Cleveland was still there and I just couldn't shake it.  I thought that I could, perhaps, be delusional from running a marathon less than a week before or maybe, just MAYBE I could really pull this off!  Two full marathons within a month (actually three weeks) of each other?! Sounds insane. I mean, one marathon sounds insane to most people, so I was really pushing the crazy envelope here. 

I finally took the bull by the horns and registered.  I'm all in.  The way I see it is that I trained the hardest that I ever have for Glass City Marathon '13 and I accomplished my goal of obtaining the almighty BQ.  After rest, recovery and returning to running, I feel great and I am excited to push myself one more time to see how I do.  I am not going into this race as nervous as I was at Glass City.  I am going to "run how I feel" in Cleveland I am going to listen to my body.  Now don't get me wrong, I am going to push myself - there is that competitiveness coming out, but I won't let myself get hurt.  I realize that I may not feel sore anymore from the Glass City Marathon, but I am sure I am not 100% fully recovered from that race either. I REALLY have to listen to my body on Sunday!!

I am pumped up more than anything for Sunday.  Like I said earlier, Cleveland is all new to me and I can't wait to toe the start line.  Deep down, I hope that I beat my time from three weeks ago at Glass City and if I can't do that, I hope I at least stay relatively close to it.  Either way, it is going to be a great race.  The weather looks great, my training is on track and my nutrition is on point as well.
  I just hope this crazy idea of mine doesn't bite me in the butt! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment