Thursday, June 20, 2013

We're STILL streaking -- The View from 22 & 23

Wow, where IS the time going? I can't believe we are posting about days 22 and 23 of the streak right  now. I must confess, I am slightly looking forward to a rest of my foot at some point, but I am still completely committed to seeing this streak through until the end! Coach B is worried the pain I'm having could turn chronic, but I am doing my best to pamper and heal it through the end of the streak

That being said, I will note right now that my worst impediment to success hasn't been a physical injury, but rather it's in my head. I long have struggled with the mental aspect of my sport - despite all of the things that I have accomplished so far as a runner, the hardest thing I have to deal with is believing that A). I CAN achieve the things I want, and B). I deserve to achieve the things I set out to accomplish. I know when I first revealed this to M, she kinda looked at me like she was surprised that I felt this way. Sometimes in life, you just need to fake it until you make it. So, I'll put on a brave face and forge ahead, despite the doubts I feel. 


Brave face. Nothing to see here. Not even a semi truck in the distance.
The cool thing about this, in a running situation, is that when you are out there in a pack running, no one knows that you might be nervous or scared -- heck, they could be feeling the same way you are, or they could actually be intimidated by your apparent imperviousness. The point here is that the body achieves what the mind believes. Training, for me at least, involves more than my muscles. It is an exercise on confidence and self awareness. I really do need to fire myself up and believe there are no obstacles that can hold me back.  With the right amount of dedication, there are no limits, unless I put them on myself. I choose to become a woman with no limits. I choose to achieve what I put my mind to. I choose to be mentally and physically strong at the same time.

Happiness is what you make it. Sometimes just seeing a reminder to be happy can make you happy! Found this little guy painted on the pavement during my 5 mile run.


Day 22 and 23 tested my resolve, to be sure. Day 22 started out well -- got back to the gym, lifted and felt great. I then immediately went for a 3.1 mile run right outside the gym into the Rossford neighborhoods while Coach B finished his workout. Well, this proved to me that I need to pay more attention to my nutrition and hydration, as I fought calf cramps for the majority of the run. It was frustrating, but I got through it, and paired with the kick-a$$ workout I had, I say it was a win.




Day 23 was much better weather-wise, so I headed out around noon with the intent of getting 5 miles in. I fought through foot pain for a mile, then that subsided and some calf cramps kicked in, lol. I worked on staying positive, and pressed ahead. By mile 2, things were where they should be, and I finished the 5 miles strong.




I stopped by Dave's Performance Footgear on my way home and picked up a metatarsal pad to put under the ball of my foot. Took it for a test mile at home, and it feels OK - kinda like a little pillow. Might be best for walking though!

M and I have a longer run planned for later -- here's to hoping to be mentally and physically strong to get it done!


###

Sister V amazes me... Not only with her physical abilities, but her resolve to finish what she has started despite any discomfort and negative thoughts.  Running, as the majority of you know, is not just a physical sport, but it is also mental.  Let's face it, we all have our days.  V and I have blogged about a couple of ours!!  There are days that you JUST DON'T WANT TO get out there... But once you do, boy oh boy, are you glad that you did.  There is never a run I have completed, that I have regretted.  That is the honest truth.  I have said time and time again that sometimes the hardest part of running is lacing your shoes up and getting out the door... Once you do that, generally it's smooth sailing.

Day 22 was amazing for me.  I had pre-run ice cream (probably not the smartest idea) and got a solid three miler in.  It was a nice and easy three miles... No music and at night.  Just me and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.  I intentionally slowed it down to an 8:15 pace.  Which is amazing to me because one year ago I never thought an 8:15 would have been "slowing it down."  It still amazes me what our bodies are capable of!!  

 (this is my Freddy Flex pose... not too bad!!)

Day 23 proved to be another amazing run.  A super quick three miler at sunset.  Aside from the mosquitoes post-run, it felt really good.  I had my iPod in and busted out the run with negative splits... The final mile was a 7:08.  BOOM!!  Both days were pretty uneventful.  They were the same route, just different attitudes and speed.  

The weather for both of these runs was OUTSTANDING... Actually, the weather overall here in NW Ohio has been great.  I know that I am probably jinxing it (sorry).  It could stay like this all summer and I would be a happy girl!!

Stay tuned for what's to come for the Sole Sisters!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment