Wednesday, June 5, 2013

HAPPY NATIONAL RUNNING DAY!! Plus: Gone Streaking -- The Day 9 Recap


 Happy National Running Day everyone! We're so excited to celebrate our national holiday with all of you in spirit when we hit the road today. The holiday poses a single fill-in-the blank phrase for us: "I RUN ____" making us consider just why it is we opt to lace up our shoes and go outside or hit the treadmill. Why DO we do this? For us Sole Sisters, we have a list as long as our arms (that doesn't necessarily mean V's list is shorter and M's is longer, mind you...), so it's hard to distill it to one pithy little phrase.  So today, we run for all the reasons we already know, and for the reasons we've yet to find out -- for the truths about ourselves and each other that will reveal themselves out on the wooded trails, the sweaty dreadmill treadmills, the open roads, the long stretches of beach sand, the hard mountain paths, and beyond. Thanks for being along for the journey, runner friends. Here's to hoping your path brings you peace and truth, health and happiness.


AND  we are happy to say ... THE STREAK IS STILL ALIVE! M picks up where we last left off:

OK, so V and I made the mutual decision last night to sleep instead of blog!  This was probably one of the BEST decisions she and I have made in awhile ... Well, aside from deciding on how we are going to celebrate National Donut Day (stay tuned).

Yesterday was Day 9 of our streak and we are right on track!  I must say, this is the FIRST time that either of us have ran this many days in a row!  It was another beautiful day here in the Midwest and we both took full advantage of what Mother Nature had to offer!


I was able to get another 5 miles in right around sunset at a 7:38 pace.  Like I said, the weather has been amazing, so I wanted to soak it in!

As you can see in my pic, I horsed around with the kids on the swing set!  Those rings are no joke... A few flips and holding myself upside down and my arms were feeling it.  V says I am like a big kid and I will agree 100%!!  Once I was inside, I pumped out some push-ups and sit-ups for good measure.  Overall, a fantastic workout!!

Lastly, I need to mention to all you readers that I am officially registered for the Detroit Free Press Marathon that takes place on October 20th of this year.  This will be my fourth year running this race and my goal is to PR.  Not that me registering for Detroit is a newsflash, but what I am about to tell you next definitely is... My husband, who half the time is unwilling to run a 5k unless I threaten him with violence, has decided to run the half-marathon course that Detroit offers!! I am beyond excited about this! He will have to be dedicated to a training program, but I have confidence he can do it! If anything, I know some seriously good blog material will stem from this!

Have a great day all and remember, today is National Running Day!  Get out there and get some miles in!!

 Hey all! V here. Yep, Day 9 was a good one for me as well. I had told Coach B that I'm just going to head out for 1 ... and he said "whatever; there's no way you're just going to run a mile." Well, isn't he just the wise one. It was a gorgeous day and so, no, there was no way just a mile would do, so I stretched it out to a 5k to take advantage of the cooler temps and brilliant sunshine. Sometimes you just have to run what you feel -- some days it's best to slow down or stop if you're hurt, and some days if you're feeling good you should *ahem, pardon ME Nike* just do it. You need to learn to read the signs as a runner.
And that's what the signs were telling me on Day 9. M and I will get to run Day 10 together during the National Running Day event in Sylvania, so we'll keep you posted on that as well. Plus ... big doings are being planned for National Donut Day on Friday. We'll keep you posted.

Plus: School is OUT for the summer! So, we hope to get our Sole Children involved in the running world as well. As you can see, my whole sole family is thrilled that school is out:

Celebratory dinner marking the end of school. I think everyone got a little stir crazy.
Have fun out there, everyone!!

Also: happy to report that the streak is still going strong for Sara near Cincy and Debbie in Delaware. We have a few more jumping on the streak too -- let us know how you're doing out there!
Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other. -- V



No comments:

Post a Comment