Monday, June 17, 2013

We're Going Streaking -- The Philosophy Behind Zero Mile and How Days 20 & 21 Shaped Up


Everything begins at Zero Mile. What is that, exactly? Zero Mile is the moment in life right before you decide to act and do something, anything. For runners, it's the intake of breath, the gaze at the path ahead, and the first step you take. It can be found at other times in life too: It's that instant when you decide to help someone in need, rather than rushing by and pretending you don't see the desperation in his or her eyes. It's the extra time you take with a child to turn a difficult time into a teachable moment rather than saying, "I'm too busy; I'll get back to her later." Zero Mile is that crystalline instance when remove the "in" from inaction. It is the moment where you move to act on your gut instinct. Zero Mile is the intersection of do or do not. It is where the path to your truth begins. It is a start line, decision time, a deadline, it's go time. It's where you begin to write your own story, your choose-your-adventure autobiography. Don't stand there like a deer in headlights when you reach your Zero Mile in life -- inaction is how you get run over. Engage, act, move, do -- Zero Mile challenges you to do more than merely exist. Don't leave this life without having lived it -- put a mile marker in front of you and begin your journey. 



Hi all! Sole Sister V here. That rumination came courtesy of Day 20, during a 5.15 mile run in Dearborn, Mich. Coach B and I were visiting some friends "up north" and were able to get a run in together that wound its way through the UM Dearborn campus, across the Rouge River, and onto a bike path by Historic Hines Park. I saw the zero mile sign around mile 3 or so, and it just got the wheels turning. I absolutely love it when what would be an ordinary run ends up revealing some remarkable truths to me. Coach B and I had a great, scenic run (after an initial wrong turn down M-12) and a fun visit during the weekend. 
Bridge over the Rouge River
Path through UM Dearborn campus.

We went out later with our friends and had a little of this:
Mmm: cookie blitz!
And a little of this:
I really only order martinis for the bleu cheese-stuffed olives, honest.
And maybe one more of these:


And so Day 21 looked like this:

Hey, the streak is still going strong, and we got to have a social life. I'll call that a win on the weekend. :)
Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other. -- V
Happy Monday everyone!  M here!  What a beautiful, outstanding weekend it was!  I got a couple of decent runs under my belt at two of our local metroparks all while getting some sun on my skin!  My runs this weekend were both a little longer.  Since I have quite a few things going on, I have been using my runs as time to clear my head.  Another reason I am so GRATEFUL to have the ability to get out there everyday!!  

Day 20 started off early... Too early.  I needed to get a run in before I headed to the car dealership to clean my van out -- yeah, the one that I wrecked.  I woke up about 6:15, brewed a pot of coffee, grabbed a granola bar and got a to-go cup of joe and headed out the door.  I arrived at Sidecut Metropark and got six miles in and arrived to the car dealership shortly after 8:00 a.m. covered in sweat, ready to clean "Black Betty" out.

I know that I look like I am smiling and happy in my picture... I am only happy because I got to hold my girl (her headlight, anyway) one last time.  I loved that van.  She put up with my shenanigans for 3 years and delivered us safely to many races and training runs.  She held many pairs of smelly running shoes and tons of sweat soaked clothing.  She proudly donned a 26.2 sticker that advised other drivers that I was slightly insane. She put up with my indecisive music choices and quarreling kids.  She was the best.  I even locked my keys inside of her once at a half-marathon and she just sat there and waited patiently until AAA arrived.  Now that is love.  I would like to take this opportunity to say rest in peace, Black Betty.  There will never be another "you".  Wow, that was rough... (wipes tear)

 (at impound she was referred to as tow #5403... the audacity of these people! don't they know she has a NAME!?)

Day 21 brought a much more positive run to me.  It started out with me sleeping in until roughly 9:15 a.m.  Anyone who knows me, knows I am usually up and at 'em WAY before 9:15!!  I made the kids and I some pancakes and got everyone into gear.  We had a few errands to run (i.e. getting Father's Day gifts because I had neglected to do that) and then I headed to Pearson Metropark and got another 6-miler in.  It was HOT.  Thank heavens that the trail there is mostly shaded.  The only thing that was bad was post-run... The vehicle I am driving right now has no air conditioning, so I was a sweaty mess heading out of that park!!  I went home, got cleaned up, hung out with the kids and then I treated myself to a solo trip to Maumee Bay State Park where I sat on the hood of the Jeep for a half hour and watched the sun descend.  It was very peaceful!

Here is to hoping that day 22 of The Streak is just as amazing as the last two were!  Thanks for reading friends, readers and fellow streakers!! Stay tuned! -M

No comments:

Post a Comment