Thursday, June 13, 2013

We're Going Streaking -- The Rundown on Days 17 & 18

It's THURSDAY!?  Where has the week gone?  Time is certainly flying and we have both completed Day 18 of The Streak!  It's Sister M reporting to give all you loyal readers the rundown for days 17 and 18 of our running adventures!

Day 17 was a VERY long day for me.  I had a lot going on and pushed my run to the very last minute.  I am talking like 11:15 p.m. last minute.  In all honesty, it ALMOST did not get done... I knew how disappointed I would be if I let that happen, so I knew I had to get out the door for one mile.  I had no excuses and I certainly did not want to let myself or Sister V down. 

This was one of the most ill-prepared runs I have EVER participated in.  Let me go ahead and break this down for you:
  • First and foremost, I was EXHAUSTED.  Long story short:  I totaled my vehicle the night before so I spent the day dealing with impound, the DMV, insurance, etc.
  • It was 11:15 p.m. and there was a tornado warning (or talk of one) and thunderstorm warning in place for our area
  • It was raining.
  • I was too lazy to dig clean socks out of the laundry basket, so I ran sockless.
  • I was too lazy to dig a headband out of the laundry, so I didn't pull my bangs back (yes, I know I need to put laundry away).
  • The only sports bra I could find was a Victoria's Secret PINK yoga sports bra.  It is very cute, but offers ZERO support (I NEED support). The rest were in the washer... Or in the laundry baskets and we all know I wasn't digging through them.
Everything added up to what should have been a bad run.  Overall, it really wasn't.  It was less than 8 minutes of my life and it was OVER!  And I was STILL in the game! Yeah, baby!! I was in bed before midnight, I slept like a rock and the streak was alive!

(The pic of me is pre-run. I didn't look as happy or pretty once I was done.  I looked like a drowned rat)

Day 18 (today) has been great compared to yesterday.  I still pushed my run to the end of the day and didn't get out the door for my run until 10:15 p.m.  The weather was cool and calm and it felt wonderful to get outside.  I got a solid three miles in.  It was fast and sweaty!  I just ran from my house around the hospital grounds across the street.  Smooth sailing this evening, folks!  And my first mile was under 7 minutes!! 
 (I tried to get a picture of the cool fountain they have on the hospital grounds, but it didn't work too well!! Use your imagination, people!!)
I am so, so proud of Sister V and myself for keeping up with this streak!  It is going to feel awesome when we are done and I have a feeling a couple martinis will be consumed in celebration!! I am looking forward to tomorrow (Day 19) because V and I will be hitting the pavement together and getting an early morning run in!  Can't wait to see my sis!!  Stay tuned to see how we did!




 Hey all! V here. Well, my Day 17 & 18 were opposite sides of the coin for me for sure. I looooooved Day 17. I haaaaaaated Day 18. 

I got out early on Day 17 and decided to run past some of my favorite scenic spots in and around Perrysburg. My city is fairly historic (Fort Meigs from the Battle of 1812 is here, and it's named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who won the Battle of Lake Erie -- "Don't Give Up The Ship," remember that from history class?) and its location on the Maumee River affords many great views. 

River view from the Perrysburg/Maumee bridge, right at the spot that Lucas and Wood counties meet.

View from the aptly named Riverview Park
 I ran down to the bridge, circled back and said hi to the Commodore, and then cruised back toward home. I wanted to slow it down a bit for this run, as the past couple of days have been speedy for me. I accomplished this goal and said good-bye to the run portion of Day 17 and hello to the eight-hour, sitting at a desk work portion of Day 17. 


The dashing Mr. Perry. 

 I developed some foot pain while at work, and was forced to go shoeless to try to alleviate it. I got home, whined to Coach B, iced, applied Tylenol cream, whined to Coach B, and went to bed hoping it would be better in the morning for Day 18. After some stretching and whining, I decided that Day 18 would just be a one mile test run to see if I was injured and how injured I might be. 
The treadmill seemed the best idea for a one-mile test run, so I could keep it soft. 
I kept it slow and decided that running actually felt better than walking did. I also decided that I was going to wear only supportive shoes from here on out. I don't want to irritate my metatarsals any further and risk having to ditch the streak. M and I are planning to hit the streets or trails tomorrow, and I want to be able to do some distance greater than a mile! 


In happy news: my One Run For Boston T-shirt arrived today! I am so excited to take part in this relay race. I believe that as of right now (June 14), a runner has the baton in Texas and is working his or her way east. Check out One Run For Boston for the latest updates. Also, USA Today did a great article on the relay. Check it out! 

Representing Ohio in Stage 237!!! 
I hope to have a happier run report for Day 19. I finally get to run with my sis again, so no matter what it'll be a good time. 

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other. -- V.  

No comments:

Post a Comment