Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Hairy Situation -- Runner Girl Problems

No matter how much you comb, brush or condition your hair, if you are a runner-girl you know that sweaty knots and tangles are an unavoidable nuisance in the game of running.  V and I both have relatively long locks and we know first hand what it's like to have tons of breakage from constant ponytails, headband use, pigtails, sweat and frequent combing and brushing.  It's NO fun and I am here to go over a variety of hairstyles that might work for you when running or post-run that may help you avoid the knots and breakage! 


(this is what I would look like if I were to try and run a brush through my hair after a run)

First up, the ponytail... You can call it old faithful if you would like.  It is the most simplistic of all hairstyles that runners use and it quite possibly the most effective for keeping the hair off your face.  There are a variety of elastics available at the local drugstore to accommodate the different hair types and thicknesses.  If you don't have bangs, you may not necessarily need a headband with your ponytail.  Just an elastic will do the trick and you'll be out the door!
(Plain, simple and effective.  The ponytail is as easy as it gets.)

(These are the ponytail holders that I use.  They come in a variety of colors and they hold my thick hair securely.)

Next up, the headband/ponytail combo.  This is the style I wear most since I have bangs that I am trying to grow out.  Not only do the headbands keep bangs or layers out of your face if a plain ponytail doesn't, they will help wick sweat from your noggin!  V wears headbands often as well, but hers are always sparkly and cute.  I think she likes making a fashion statement ... And trust me, we run in skirts, so a fashion statement of any kind is okay in my book!!
 (I prefer this thicker headband style since I have shorter bangs that need held in place.  V normally sports the skinny ones that will help keep any fly-aways out of your face.)


Bondiband headbands are hands-down my FAVORITE headband on the market!  They are sweat-wicking, wide, comfortable and super cute!  They are offered in a variety of solids and prints and on their website you can even customize them if you would like. Check them out at www.bondiband.com!!

I have also been informed by Sister V that the sparkly, fancy headbands that she makes such a fashion statement with are also made by Bondiband!!  She reminded me that she had to elbow women out of the way at the Glass City Marathon Expo in order to get them!! How on Earth did I forget that!?  I was first turned on to the Bondiband brand at the Detroit Marathon Expo and I have been obsessed with them since.  They are a superior product.  They are available at our local running stores and have also been available at every major race expo that I have been to.  They run anywhere from $5-$10 per band, dependent on which style you choose, but they are totally worth it.  Usually at the expos, they will run specials on price.  I like to stock up then!

Now onto braided pigtails.  This is a cute (men think they're sexy), effective way to keep your hair pulled back without having to worry about the knots that often happen from hair being in a sweat-soaked ponytail that has been flapping in the wind for an hour or so. The only issue with pigtails is that you have to be able to braid.  If you can't, let's hope you have a roommate, sibling, neighbor or spouse that is willing to help if you ever want to sport this style!!



The style shown above showcases pigtails that are french-braided, which they don't need to be.  I, for one, cannot french-braid my own hair.  I am able to split my hair evenly though and simply braid each side from the nape of my neck. I have tried braided pigtails myself and they would be effective for shorter runs, but since I have layers, some of the hair comes undone and ends up looking a little sloppy for my liking.  V can rock the pigtails without problems and looks darn good doing it (have you SEEN the Donut Dash post?!).  Her hair is one length though, which helps the braids stay looking a bit more polished.

The braided pigtail can also just be made into the braided ponytail if you choose to have a simpler, singular hairstyle and don't want the tangles that accompany the standard ponytail.  Just whip your hair up into a pony and braid it from the elastic on down and secure with another elastic.  This works especially well at preventing knots and tangles in sweaty hair if it is longer in length ... It won't whip around as much and will be easier to comb through post-run.




Next up, the hat/ponytail combo.  Personally, I don't like wearing a hat while running ... Or while doing anything really, unless I am at a baseball game. I do see a lot of women wearing them at races and they look spectacular and practical.  This allows them to keep their ponytails neatly in place or, if they have shorter hair, the hat holds it out of their face while shading them at the same time.  I get the practicality of it, it's just not more me.  Now they make these handy-dandy hats with little zippered pockets to store a key or another small item in.  How convenient!!  I think if I didn't like wearing sunglasses while running, I would give the hat a whirl.  For now, I will leave the hat-wearing to others!




  (I really do like the concept of the pocket on the hat.  Makes it very convenient for a key or ID! I just wish I liked wearing hats!)

Finally, we have one of my favorites. This hairstyle isn't necessarily for running or working out, but more for post-run or work out.  It is the messy bun.  You probably are wondering why I love the messy bun so much.  Well, let me tell you: I HATE washing my hair. It is a process and a waste of time. Wash, condition, towel dry, blow dry, straighten or curl, spray, blah, BLAH BLAH ... The messy bun allows me to go DAYS without washing my hair.  Yes, even after I sweat and run and run and sweat, I will NOT wash my hair.  That is how much I dislike it.  I own a teasing comb, dry shampoo, hairspray and elastics.  On no-wash days, these are essentials.  I can blow dry the sweat out of my hair, apply dry shampoo, tease it at the roots and pull it up into the grand-daddy of dirty hairstyles... BEHOLD!


Still cute and sexy with bedhead appeal, the messy bun is quite versatile.  To be honest, I can do this to my hair, apply makeup really well and I can look like a million bucks ... Or I can do my hair like this, stay in pajamas without makeup and look like a roll of nickels.  It is really what you do with the rest of yourself when you wear the messy bun that will determine which look you achieve.   Frankly, I just like it so much because it prevents me from having to wash my hair without having me look like a greasy-haired wild woman.  Thank you creator of the messy bun.  I love you.

I hope that some of these hairstyles and product suggestions will help some of you runner-girls out there!  Just be sure to deep condition and if you go through a training season and go on to complete a race, do yourself a favor ... Go get a trim at your favorite salon.  Your hair will thank you.  After a spring marathon training season, V and I were both due for a good trim!  Felt great to be able to run a brush through my hair without it getting stuck!  



(YIKES!)



We always think about what we put our bodies through when running and fail to think about what we are doing to our hair in the process!  Let's keep our luscious locks healthy, ladies!  No one wants a rat's nest on their head (well, unless you are purposely on day 3 of the messy bun)! Remember to comb, condition and trim when necessary!!



"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."  ~Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment