Sunday, September 22, 2013

With a Rebel Yell ... YES-FM Rebellion Run 5k report and a look ahead

Super Sauconys! We're both currently using the Kinvara 4 model.
Hey everybody! Happy autumn days to all of you. I hope you are enjoying the cool down in temperatures as much as we are!

Well, we Sole Sisters are getting down to the final weeks before our fall marathons -- V has the inaugural Northern Ohio Marathon on Oct. 13 and M has Detroit on Oct. 20. Summer fun waylaid our intended long training program, so we're now doing something like this:


Trying to find the right balance of mileage and speed work without injuring ourselves is the key.

But instead of an intended rest day Saturday, I (V here) tackled the YES-FM Rebellion Run 5k at Fallen Timbers. This was the first year the Christian radio station has put on a 5k, and it was great initial event that I hope to see grow with future editions.

Side note: while M sat this one out, Saturday was no day of slack for her, either. This lady, starting around 7 a.m., ran -- RAN -- the 8 or so miles it takes from her house to my house in Perrysburg to then catch a ride with me to Fallen Timbers and cheer me on. She also schlepped my stuff and provided hot coffee and chocolate milk at the finish line -- what a friend, right??

Runner friends bring you chocolate milk at the finish line. And they don't look alarmed if you appear to be ready to hurl. 

The race started near the Red Robin at the Shops at Fallen Timbers, and I was immediately struck by how cheerful and helpful the volunteers were at the sign-up tables and throughout. One nice woman stopped us and said, "Wow, you look like a runner!" Well, that just made my day and also made me giggle.

Many of you know that I am an absolute sucker for swag. Seriously, it's one of my favorite things about running. Dangle a little plastic trinket, a free pair of shoelaces, or a water bottle in front of me -- I'm a-running. The Rebellion Run swag bag was great and a pleasant surprise, especially for a first-time event.

Swag city!  

Check it out: free Chick-fil-A and two appetizers from Granite City, and the ever-popular Dave's sealed envelope (Is it free socks? Is it a discount on purchase? Is it a $500 shopping spree? Is it money off sandals you likely won't buy?), a letter opener, and a frisbee, along with lots of literature. Nicely done.

It came time for the start, and it was well-organized -- you'd expect a radio station to have good audio, and they did; no problems at all hearing that it was time to line up. A nice prayer was said interceding on behalf of the runners, and with a blast from an air horn, we were off.

The course took us through the "main drag" of Fallen Timbers, then we turned out on the bike path toward the Jerome Road entrance of the Wabash Cannonball Trail. There was a water stop around the 1-mile mark, which with the loop became the water stop around the 2-mile mark as well.

 I decided before the race, with M's help, that I'd try to keep it at a steady 7-minute mile for the first two, then bring it on for the last mile.  This differs from my run-until-you-are-exhausted first mile, then gut it out plan, which really isn't much of a strategy at all.

This plan kept me on the elbow of a skilled female runner for most of the first half of the race. It's always a tough judgment -- just how close do you stay to someone in a race? I don't want to be intrusive, but I don't want to ease off the pace, either. She and I traded the lead around the mile and half mark, then she came back in front of me around mile 2. At that point, I felt good and the thought came into my head that I could actually be the overall women's winner, if I could push it some. And then I thought, "hey, I could actually WIN something." That was it -- the inner swag hunter in me said "kick it into gear, woman."

Watch out, kids, zombies are chasing me. 

I drew on the experience of our recently completed Yasso 800s, and willed myself to dig deep and go go go. I passed the woman in front of me, and I was too nervous to look behind me and too nervous to even think about slowing down. I knew no one else was in front of me, and I looked at my Garmin: 2.65 miles completed. It crossed my mind that maybe I made the move too early, and I tried to swallow down the fear that I would slow down and get caught. The turn into Fallen Timbers came quickly, and I knew that it was the last turn I'd have to make before I could see the finish line. I still didn't look behind me; I had no idea if she was on my heels or if she had fallen back.

It didn't matter: I could see the end. I knew this would not be my PR race, but I knew that I'd never once been the first woman to cross a finish line in any of my races. I could see M and her bright smile, and I could see my friends John and Raynae and their son, Logan, too. I pushed and ran, and crossed the line, gratefully accepting the Popsicle stick that signified I was the fourth finisher, and the first woman. I paused, dry-heaved once, twice, tried to breathe, looked at the concerned folks at the finisher's table who were waiting for me to turn in the Popsicle stick (who also looked like they wouldn't want it if I puked on myself), smiled to myself at their expressions, and then made it to the table and logged my name and time (it was just over a 22; in the dry-heaving I forgot to stop both my Garmin and my Nike+, and I don't see results posted yet).



M delivered hug, coffee, and chocolate milk, in that order, and we waited and cheered the rest of the field. There was a little mix-up over the reading of the overall women's and women's masters division winners, but hey, no one said coordinating a 5k was easy, lol. It was a great experience, and I commend YES-FM, the volunteers and the sponsors for a great event.

One of my new favorite shirts. Soooo soft and comfy.

In other business -- This is a big, nerve-wracking week. This is the week when we find out whether M gets accepted to run in Boston. Please: Direct all good vibes her way. We'll know by Wednesday, and you can be sure we'll let YOU know how it goes. Thanks in advance for the karmic boost.



Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other. -- V.  

No comments:

Post a Comment