Friday, August 30, 2013

Change is a Good Thing -- Welcome Back



Wobble, wobble, wobble, WACK!! KaBLAM. POW!!! Stumble-tumble-roll, roll, roll. Owie owie owie OUCH! 

What was THAT, you ask? Well, that was me. Falling off the fitness wagon. I won't say I've been totally unhealthy, I haven't, but I have been slowly backsliding from where I think my potential fit level is. I've gained a little weight (no one would really notice but me), my fast doesn't come as easily, and I'm strong, but not as strong as I could be. Do you know what the awesome thing about this is, though? These are all things that are within my control, and I can choose to get back up to the level where I want to be. 



Summer really can be a tough time to train, with vacation time, kids being out of school, hotter days, and general fun things to do that pop up. Who'd rather do a long run than attend a family barbecue? Well, not this girl. This is one reason that I generally do not like fall marathons -- I just have such a hard time consistently training for them. Strange as it might sound, I'd much rather wake up early in January and knock out a 14 miler when it's 14 degrees out than run outside in the summer. 

This is in full view from my treadmill. Helps keep the mental meanies out of my way.

Falling off the wagon doesn't just have a physical effect on me -- it also wreaks havoc with my mental game. And even when I'm at my fittest, my biggest challenge is always shutting up the voices of self-doubt that can creep up on me during a run -- most especially during a race. These voices generally say, "Why are you doing this?" "This is stupid; you aren't really a runner." "Remember when you dropped out of that 800-meter race in high school? You're still not an athlete." "I can hear your heart beating. And, you just got passed. Ugh." And so on. If that's what I'm facing when I logically know I'm physically able to conquer anything, you can believe the chorus thrums louder when I start to skip workouts. 

Yes, Virginia, there really are fit girl problems. That sounds like fodder for another blog post. 

So, this is my rededication to running, my commit to fit. While our kids are over just part-time during the week, having them back in school provides more of a routine for me that I can take advantage of.  (Sidebar: I commend all of you caregivers who are working your healthy routines while doing parenting 100% of the time, day in, day out. You are my heroes and are setting a great example for your kids. Kudos.) Also, I had nothing to prepare for during the summer. There was no greater cause for me to be disciplined. Well, I am going to do at least a half in October, if not the full. I'm planning to register for the inaugural Northern Ohio marathon, which is Oct. 13 in Lake County, Ohio, home to the lovely family of Coach B. Lesson learned: Be working toward something. Set goals and don't meander aimlessly. Focus your energy, be it in the gym, on the road, at work. Know what you are working toward, otherwise you'll go in a circle and not upward. 

The swag for the Northern Ohio marathon includes a Brooks Essential half-zip pullover. I'm IN.  

As a springboard,  I'm somewhat crazily doing a half marathon this Saturday in Bowling Green. I'm not as prepared as I'd necessarily like to be, but M and I both agreed we're viewing this not so much as a "race" as it is a "run." :-) I passed the tests I'd set for myself to see if tackling this half was feasible. I wanted to run 5 on Tuesday, then 10 on Thursday. I did both of those, but on a treadmill. In air-conditioning. I'll rest Friday, and try to focus on miles and not time on Saturday morning. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. 



As far as the blog goes, I've got to be honest: The RW Streak challenge had me b-u-r-n-e-d out. The collages. The mileage. The entries ("I ran. I ran again. I ran alone. I ran with M. I ran, it hurt. I ran, it felt good.).  It just got to be too much. SO: I pledge to write once a week at minimum, on a thought-out topic. I'm not intending my portion of the blog to be a workout diary, but I'll include a little bit of what I'm up to, just to stay accountable. I know M is dedicated to her fitness and her running, and she's an Advocare rep now, too, so if you need the supplement hookup and other amazing products, she is your woman! Link to M's Advocare Site

M is so dedicated that even disgusting dive-bombing bugs wouldn't keep her from completing a muggy night run. I took the treadmill route. I'm a bug-fearing wuss. M is not. 

If you have questions, comments, suggestions, our email inbox is always open (solesisters2014@gmail.com) and we would love to hear from you and what you are up to, and what your goals are! Keep in touch!!! 

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to each other.  -- V.   

No comments:

Post a Comment